21 Aug Welcome to the Tribe: Building Friendships Through Motherhood
Since I created the Funny Momma platform, I have had the pleasure of connecting with mothers from all walks of life. Mothers of various ages and races, even mothers from other countries have shown me love, offered advice and asked for my thoughts on situations they’re dealing with. They have become a part of my virtual Momma Tribe.
A Momma Tribe is a group of mothers who support, uplift and love one another. In addition to my virtual Momma Tribe, I have an incredible group of women I am blessed to have in my real-life momma tribe. If you are a momma out there and you do not have a Momma Tribe, I invite you to join mine. I know you have questions, so let me explain.
As I’ve said many times before, I was raised around very strong, very independent women who are incredibly supportive of one another. No matter how much my sisters and I fought growing up, my mother always reminded us the importance of family and sisterhood. This rolled over into our friendships as most of our friends became more like sisters.
When my sisters and I became mothers, sticking together and being there for one another became even more important to us. We learned that we accomplished more and were more successful in motherhood (and life in general) when we backed each other up. Everything we did, we did together. Our friendships started to merge together. My best friends became my sisters’ best friends and vice versa. No one was (and still isn’t) left behind. We formed our Momma Tribe. Our tribe, has become our on little exclusive women’s club.
There are six primary member qualifications for joining our tribe:
- You must be loving and kind – A sweet soul and a kind heart are a must have in our group. Don’t get me wrong, we have a few Grade A bitches in our crew (guilty), but at our core, we genuinely care about the well-being of everyone in our group.
- You must be judgement free- If you feel like you’re better than everyone and frown up your nose at a pile of laundry on the couch that should’ve been folded weeks ago, this ain’t the place for you. We don’t mind you telling us we need to get our shit together, but we do mind if you think we are beneath you. No Judge Judy’s!
- You must be honest- When someone in the group has an issue, you can’t sugarcoat it. We are a very straight to the point type of crew. But understand that if you dish it, you have to be able to take it as well. No sensitive sally’s allowed. We’re only trying to help after all.
- You must be willing to lend a helping hand- We’ve all got our own shit to deal with, but if one of our own is in need of anything, we would all drop everything to help. Whether that means throwing the kids in the car and rushing to someone’s aide or sitting for hours while they vent to you about their life, that’s just what you’ve gotta do.
- You must respect everyone – There is no book on motherhood and nobody has the key to being the perfect mom. It is important to respect everyone’s method of parenting because at the end of the day, we’re all just trying to make it through this crazy journey in motherhood without going completely insane.
- You MUST have a sense of humor- You don’t have to be the funniest person in the room. Hell, you don’t even have to be funny at all. But if you enjoy a good belly laugh, we are the right crew for you!
Our Momma Tribe is a group of women who first and foremost, love and support each other. Our tribe does not discriminate. We accept mommas of all ages, religions and skin colors. If you’ve got kids, an open mind and a judge-less spirit- you’re one of us and we accept you with open arms.
So if you need a listening ear, are in need of some advice, want to share a momma hack you’ve found or if you just want to share a funny story about your crazy kid(s), DM or mail me and I promise I will respond. I will give you my open and honest opinion and do my best to help you get out of the rut that you’re in.
In my tribe, no momma is left behind.